Confederate prisoners of war confined at Fort Delaware produced this newspaper by hand in 1865. The New-York Historical Society
holds one of four surviving copies, each of which was likely passed
around and read by multiple prisoners. The paper numbers four pages in
Like camps holding Union prisoners in the South, Fort Delaware, located on the Delaware River, was not a pleasant place. More than 40,000 Confederate POWs cycled through the brick-walled prison between the years 1862 and 1865.