By: Press Release | Canada NewsWire
TORONTO, Oct. 15, 2012 /CNW/ –The Globe and Mail announced today that it will launch a digital subscription service next week called Globe Unlimited for its globeandmail.com website and apps.
Starting on October 22, casual visitors to globeandmail.com can still enjoy free access of up to 10 pieces of Globe and Mail content per month (including articles, videos, slide shows and other features), after which they will be required to subscribe to Globe Unlimited to continue accessing most other content on the site. Globe Unlimited will be available at no additional cost for five- or six- day home delivery newspaper subscribers. For non-newspaper subscribers, a Globe Unlimited trial is available for 99¢ for the first month, after which the cost will be $19.99 per month.
“The launch of Globe Unlimited is an important new chapter in the evolving story of media delivery and consumption in Canada, and around the world,” said Phillip Crawley, Publisher and CEO. “As the largest newspaper site in Canada, more people are reading The Globe and Mail than ever before. Whether online or on mobile devices, The Globe provides valuable content regardless of the platform. Some of the world’s largest and most respected media outlets have successfully introduced a similar model, and we look forward to the benefits it will enable us to deliver to our readers and advertisers,” he added.
A Globe Unlimited subscription will provide unlimited access seamlessly across all platforms and devices, along with exclusive subscriber-only content and tools including: Dashboard, a new personalization tool, currently in beta; a new and improved Streetwise column, providing up-to-the-minute developments and news on the financial markets; and ROB Insight, a new feature providing passionate business readers with an early jump on the stories that are unfolding each day.
Key details of Globe Unlimited:
- Casual users of globeandmail.com will still have access to 10 free online items each month, after which they will either need to subscribe, or wait until the next month when another 10 free articles become available.
- There is no additional cost for readers who have a five- or six-day/week home delivery subscription to The Globe and Mail newspaper, but registration is still required.
- Those with partial home delivery subscriptions, including Friday/Saturday or Saturday-only, can receive Globe Unlimited for a substantially discounted price of $4.99 per month.
- The Globe homepage, section fronts, video, stock quotes and Letters to the Editor will all remain free and accessible to the public, and will not count toward the monthly limit.
- To encourage sharing, Globe Unlimited will be social media porous; meaning links from Facebook, Twitter, search engines, blogs and other online communities are encouraged. Viewing an article shared via social media will not count toward the 10 free articles limit. Other new subscriber-only features and tools will be introduced over time.