AP Reporter in Convoy That Draws Fire from NATO Forces in Afghanistan

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

By:

As British troops sped away from a suicide bomb attack that wounded three of their own, witnesses in this southern Afghan city say the soldiers opened fire, sending residents scurrying in fear of their lives.

Within minutes of the Dec. 3 bombing, one civilian lay dead and six wounded from the gunfire – one of seven occasions in the last month that NATO forces shot Afghan citizens. Seven people have been killed and 11 injured, eroding public support for the battle against a resurgent Taliban.

NATO says in all the shootings, the soldiers acted in self-defense.

Commanders call the deaths regrettable and label the run of incidents as “coincidence.” Both new and experienced troops of different nationalities operating in various regions of Afghanistan have been involved in the shootings.

Foreign troop convoys are coming under increasing attack. Taliban militants exploded more than 100 suicide bombs in the country this year, a more than fivefold increase from 2005, often targeting NATO forces in armored personnel carriers and jeeps.

Most victims of NATO shootings are Afghan civilians – motorists who have failed to stop when ordered to do so, or people caught in the chaotic aftermath of bombings. The shootings have deepened resentment among Afghans as NATO struggles to contain an insurgency that has found new strength five years after the ouster of the Taliban regime.

After the Kandahar bombing on Dec. 3, Said Ahmed, a 30-year-old bakery worker, said he ran into his shop when he saw British soldiers coming down the street shouting and firing their guns.

“I saw one motorbike driver get shot, and he fell down onto the ground,” Ahmed said. “It was a very scary moment.”

Umer Jan, 38, who owns an electronics shop, described how people ran from the convoy.

“I saw the NATO forces firing their guns on civilians. I saw people leaving their vehicles and bicycles and running away,” he said. “From both sides, civilians are the victims – from the bombing, and after the bombing. I don’t know what we should do.”

An Associated Press reporter was driving toward the site of the suicide attack and encountered the British convoy. One soldier fired in the air, another fired at the ground and still another wounded a motorcyclist.

A British spokesman has said the soldiers fired in self-defense, and that the incident is under investigation.

Brig. Richard Nugee, chief spokesman for NATO’s International Security Assistance Force, said soldiers have an “inherent right” to self-defense.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *