(AP) Kobe Bryant’s defense attorneys, Pamela Mackey and Hal Haddon, have asked County Judge Frederick Gannett to reconsider an earlier order allowing cameras in the courtroom during Bryant’s Aug. 6 initial appearance.
Attorneys for media organizations — including the Los Angeles Times, The Denver Post, and NBC — have argued that many details have been publicized already, some by Bryant and the district attorney. They also contend the public should have the opportunity to determine the veracity of statements made by those involved in the case.
Gannett has already ordered a limit on public comment about the case by attorneys, authorities, and others, including Bryant and any witnesses. He said the order was necessary to guarantee a fair trial.
Gannett also warned organizations not to publish or broadcast the name or photograph of any witness, juror, potential juror, or the alleged victim and her family on the courthouse grounds. Any organization violating the order could be denied a seat in the courtroom.
Police and court records have been sealed and Gannett has limited what officials can say about the case. Gannett was scheduled to hear arguments Thursday during a hearing on whether the records in the case should be made public.
Bryant has already admitted he had sex with a 19-year-old hotel worker who has accused him of rape, but a new report presents a more complicated picture about what allegedly happened in his mountain resort suite last month.
ABC News reported on its Web site Wednesday that Bryant and the woman had some consensual sexual contact but that she did not agree to have intercourse with him.
Citing unnamed sources, the network also said the woman, a concierge at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera, was in Bryant’s room for less than a half hour and that Bryant later gave inconsistent statements to Eagle County authorities.
The ABC report said Bryant’s unidentified accuser had given Bryant a tour of the hotel when he arrived June 30 and that he later called and asked her to come to his room.
Bryant, an All-Star guard for the Los Angeles Lakers, has been charged with one count of sexual assault. Bryant said he had consensual sex with the woman. His attorney, Mackey, did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Bryant has posted a $25,000 bond and is scheduled to return to Colorado Aug. 6 for an initial court appearance, where he will be advised of the charge against him and of his rights.
When he filed charges July 18, prosecutor Mark Hurlbert said he had both physical and testimonial evidence to prove the case. He said Bryant forced the victim into “submission” through physical force but refused to disclose other details.
Hurlbert and defense lawyers want to keep the records of the case sealed, arguing that publicity could affect Bryant’s right to a fair trial.