By: E&P Staff
The July 24 accident at the Chicago Tribune Freedom Center that sent two Tribune Co. electricians to the hospital occurred when they were upgrading the production plant’s incoming electrical switch gear in preparation for upgrades to existing printing presses, and not because of work on new equipment, the Tribune confirmed Friday.
An E&P Online story posted July 25 incorrectly reported, based on an account published in the Tribune and confirmed by a newspaper spokesperson, that the two were injured “while installing new press equipment.” The electricians were injured by an electric arc flash created by a short circuit.
Masthead International is installing Colorman towers from MAN Roland on the Tribune’s line of 10 printing presses. The accident did not involve that work.