FBI Won’t Charge Greene’s Caller

By:

(AP) The FBI said Friday that there was insufficient evidence to file charges against the woman whose telephone calls to columnist Bob Greene led him to contact agents months before he resigned from the Chicago Tribune over a sexual encounter with a teenager.

Greene contacted the FBI on June 20 and “expressed concerns over a series of telephone calls that he had recently received, which he felt were threatening in nature,” the FBI said.

Agents interviewed Greene and a woman who acknowledged making the calls but denied making threats. The statement said officials closed the inquiry June 28 after determining the evidence didn’t warrant additional investigation or criminal prosecution.

Greene resigned Sept. 14 after it was disclosed he had a sexual encounter with a teenager he met at his office while she was working on a school project more than a decade ago. The Tribune began an investigation of the matter after it received an anonymous e-mail earlier this month.

The newspaper said the woman was above the age of consent when the encounter occurred. The legal age of consent is 17 in Illinois.

The Tribune reported that the woman phoned Greene twice during the last year. After the second call, the paper reported, the woman was allegedly contacted by FBI agents who suggested that she may be posing a threat to the columnist.

In a prepared statement, Tribune Publisher Scott Smith said the paper intends to “honor the privacy of the individuals involved.”

“The character of the young woman involved here is not the issue and it is a shame that some are trying to make it so.”

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *