Former NSA Insider Says He Was a ‘NY Times’ Source on Spying Story

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

By: E&P Staff

ABC News reported Tuesday night that Russell Tice, a longtime insider at the National Security Agency, is now a whistleblower and says he was a source for The New York Times in its December story revealing domestic spying.

An interview with Rice appeared on the Tuesday “Nightline.” Tice was let go by the agency last year.

According to the ABC web site, Tice says some of the secret “black world” activities run by the NSA were operated in ways that he believes violated the law. “He is prepared to tell Congress all he knows about the alleged wrongdoing in these programs run by the Defense Department and the National Security Agency in the post-9/11 efforts to go after terrorists,” ABC says.

Tice says the technology exists to track and sort through every domestic and international phone call as they are switched through centers, such as one in New York, and to search for key words or phrases that a terrorist might use.

He says the number of Americans subject to eavesdropping by the NSA could be in the millions if the full range of secret NSA programs is used.

The day The New York Times broke the story of the NSA eavesdropping without warrants, Tice surfaced as a whistleblower in the agency. He told ABC News that he was a source for the Times’ reporters. “But Tice maintains that his conscience is clear,” ABC reports.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *