Gallup: 54% Want Iraq Pullout Within a Year

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

By: E&P Staff

Politicians, top administration officials — and editorial writers — may be reluctant to do it, but a majority of Americans now embrace the concept of a speedy U.S. withdrawal from Iraq. A new Gallup poll released today finds that 20% urge an “immediate” pullout with another 34% backing a full withdrawal within one year, for a total of 54%.

Only 9% want to send more troops. The poll of 1,007 adults was taken Oct. 20-22.

The poll also found near record level of 58% calling the war a “mistake.”

Slightly more (21% vs. 19%) say the insurgents, not our forces, are winning , with 58% declaring neither.

About 2 in 10 Democrats say the war is “going well,” compared with nearly 6 in 10 Republicans — but the key is that Independents side very closely (26%) with the Democrats.

According to the survey, 64% of Americans say things are going badly for the United States in Iraq, including 35% who say they are going “very badly.” Just 35% of Americans say things are going well — although most Republicans still feel that way. “That matches the worst assessment of the situation in Iraq Gallup has measured,” the organization points out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *