By: Press Release | The Bulletin
Norwich, CT. – The Bulletin was honored Thursday as one of Gatehouse Media’s four Newspapers of the Year in the 2010 Best of GateHouse editorial contest.
The Bulletin was named the top paper in Division B, for papers with circulation between 9,000 and 24,999.
“This is an incredibly proud day for our employees, readers and advertisers,” Bulletin Publisher Paul Provost said.
“Over the past 11⁄2 years, we have invested in our editorial department to establish ourselves as the dominant news and information source in Eastern Connecticut, and to be considered the best in our entire company certainly acknowledges those efforts. None of this would be possible without the leadership of Jim Konrad, executive editor, his execution of our well-thought-out plans and for the entire team at The Bulletin.”
The Bulletin also won several other awards:
- The “Dear Governor” section was named Project of the Year and Best Special Section/Niche. The section was led by Opinion Page Editor Ray Hackett and Multimedia Editor Aaron Flaum, with help from Assistant City Editors John Penney and Marilyn Comrie, Production Editor John Meo and Designer Dan Goodwin.
- Meo was named Designer of the Year for his work in presentation of the paper, and Goodwin was the top finalist in that category.
- Tali Greener and John Shishmanian were the two top finalists in the Photographer of the Year category. Hackett was the top finalist for Columnist of the Year.
- The Perfect Pooches and Fantastic Felines sections were the champions in the Reader Involvement category. Features Editor Kelly Franklin was the lead editor on those sections, and leads The Bulletin’s Living and Go sections, both of which were named the best in the company in the features and entertainment categories, respectively.
- Also, “Creepy Tales,” led by Franklin, was a second finalist for Best Special Section/Niche. Goodwin was involved with the “Creepy Tales,” Perfect Pooches and Fantastic Felines sections, and is the lead designer/editor for the Living and Go sections.
- The Bulletin’s Sports section was named best in GateHouse and Sports Editor Marc Allard was the top finalist for Sports Writer of the Year. Allard leads a sports staff that includes Assistant Sports Editor Brian Girasoli, Joe Perez, Chadwick Watters, Tim Ehrens and Brett Poirier.
GateHouse Media has 494 community publications, including 90 daily newspapers with total paid circulation of 789,000 and 289 weekly newspapers with total paid circulation of 686,000, plus total free circulation of about 1 million.
EIM & ARK