By: Ed Zintel
Plenty of forward-thinking information will be dispersed at this year’s Graph Expo 14, combined with the co-located CPP (Converting & Package Printing) Expo, on Sept. 28-Oct. 1 at Chicago’s McCormick Place. Among the highlights for newspaper-related printing professionals are several targeted educational sessions, equipment and services demos, and networking opportunities. Plus, the popular Executive Outlook technology and marketing trends update conference, titled this year, “Print That Performs,” will be held on a new date, on opening day, Sunday, Sept. 28, from 8 a.m.-noon.
The overall theme of this year’s Graph Expo 14 is “Integrate.” During the show, the “home base” hub for professionals in in-plant print centers will be The In-Plant Place sponsored by the In-Plant Printing and Mailing Association (IPMA). IPMA will also sponsor a free lunch and learn presentation especially for in-plant print professionals on Sept. 30, from 11:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. In-plant attendees will find offerings of the latest equipment, products, and services including workflow and design software, digital, offset, and hybrid printing, wide format inkjet, prepress, postpress finishing and mailing and consumables and substrates.
For printing professionals seeking the answers to their specific questions, show floor “Ask the Expert” stations can be found inside Deliver-the Mailing & Fulfillment Center, with the “Ask the Mailing Expert” station sponsored by the Association of Marketing Service Providers (AMSP), and also inside Photo IMPACT-the Photo Imaging Pavilion, with an “Ask the Expert” station sponsored by Photo Imaging News.
Back this year at Graph Expo 14 is the home area for the newspapers publishing industry: the News Print Pavilion. The 9,000-square-foot exhibit space is devoted to the needs of newspaper publishers and printers looking for ways to cut costs, increase profits and make informed buying decisions in areas including these:
- Postpress and mailroom equipment
- Digital presses (hardware and software)
- Hybrid production
- Offset presses
- CTP and associated plate bending/punching
- UV and heatset technology
At the News Print Pavilion, attendees will be able to explore products and services in the areas of software (workflow and design), prepress and post press, digital, offset, hybrid and gravure presses, mailing, finishing, newspaper user groups and publishing trends. In addition to E&P, some of the newspaper-related companies who have reserved booth spaces at this year’s News Print Pavilion include ProImage America Inc., Harland Simon, Prime UV Systems, Mohawk, Pressline Services, Inc., TKS (USA), NELA, Mabeg Feeders, American Ultraviolet, IT Suplies, RM Machinery, and Harris & Bruno International.
Some of the seminars at Graph Expo 14 of particular interest for newspaper printers and publishers are these:
- The Future of the American Printer, Sept. 28, 12:15-1:45 p.m.
- Lean Fundamentals—Time to Get Back to Basics, Sept. 28, 10:30 a.m.-noon
- Using Print to Engage Customers: Making Print Interactive, Sept. 29, 8:30-10 a.m.
- Amped-Up Print Automation: What You Must Know NOW, Sept. 29, 8:30-10 a.m.
- Tablet Apps: A Profit Opportunity for Printers, Sept. 29, 8:30-10 a.m.
- The Future of Offset and Digital Printing, Sept. 29, 10:30 a.m.-noon
- Using Print to Engage Customers: Print to Mobile—Retooling for New Profit Pathways
- Value Added Techniques for Print that Performs, Sept. 30, 8:30-10 a.m.
- Simple Lean Start-up Steps for Your Company, Sept. 30, 8:30-10 a.m.
- Beyond Survival: New Success Strategies for Small and Medium Sized Printers, Sept. 30, 8:30-10 a.m.
- Trend Alert: The Evolving Role of Production Inkjet, Sept. 30, 10:30-noon
For information, visit graphexpo.com.