By: E&P Staff
Almost 2,900 men took advantage of the Chicago Sun-Times second annual offer of free prostate cancer screenings last week, the paper said.
The total of 2,896 men taking the PSA (prostate-specific antigen) blood test and rectal exam lagged the newspapers first campaign last year when about 3,700 men were tested. But the paper’s co-sponsor, the National Prostate Cancer Coalition, said they were delighted with the results, according to a story in the paper by staff reporter Monifa Thomas.
“It went wonderful,” coalition coordinator Kate Faenza told the Sun-Times. “Chicago is our No. 1 city.”
The response to the campaign, which brought 800 men in a single day April 21, could have been muted because one scheduled screening location was unable to open. The tests were set in mobile vans outside hospitals and medical centers in Chicago and the suburbs.