By: E&P Staff
The Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance held a wake June 23 for the recently demolished Mellus building at a hall just a few doors away, according to a July 8 report in The News-Herald, Southgate, Mich.
The home of Mellus Newspapers until 1986 and unoccupied since then, the building gave up some interesting artifacts before it was razed by the city’s Downtown Development Authority on May 15. Among them were sheets of colored copy paper from the newsroom. Pink sheets often were stamped “women’s” across the bottom, while yellow sheets were stamped “men’s.”
Men and women writers also were segregated within the 1942 building – which was on the National Register of Historic Places owing to its history and Art Deco “moderne” style, according to News-Herald writer Nate Stemen. “The front of the building had much of the character,” he wrote, “with porcelain enamel tiles, casement windows and curved glass block that went in toward the entranceway.”
In 1985, Mellus merged with News-Herald Newspapers under the latter’s name and, soon after, under its roof in Wyandotte. Two years later the merged operation moved to Southgate.
Funds could not be raised to preserve the building, according to Alliance President Leslie Lynch-Wilson. Had it been saved, “it would have been the rebirth of the downtown area,” she told the News-Herald. “We talked about it being a retail or art incubator.”