‘NY Times’ (Finally) Gets to Colbert Controversy

By: E&P Staff

The New York Times, after failing to cover the Stephen Colbert portion of the White House Correspondents Dinner entertainment last Saturday, rebounded Wednesday with an article observing that his satiric routine had become “one of the most hotly debated topics in the politically charged blogosphere.”

The article by Jacques Steinberg noted that Colbert’s barbs that night had been hailed and condemned, while others “chided the so-called mainstream media, including The New York Times, which ignored Mr. Colbert’s remarks while writing about the opening act, a self-deprecating bit Mr. Bush did with a Bush impersonator.”

From the left, Al Franken backed Colbert while Mary Matalin from the right bashed him. Outgoing White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said he was staying out of the fight.

Colbert had no comment. Mark Smith of The Associated Press, president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, said he wasn’t that familiar with Colbert when he booked him for the night.

His vote afterward: “I thought he was very funny.”

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *