NYTimes.com Appoints VP, As TimesSelect Subscribers (Who Don’t Get Paper) Reach 176,000

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

By: E&P Staff

The New York Times Co. named Vivian Schiller to vice president and general manager of NYTimes.com, effective May 8. Schiller is currently senior vice president, television and video for the company and executive vice president and general manager for the Discovery Times Channel.

In her new role, Schiller will manage the day-to-day operations of NYTimes.com. She will report to Martin Nisenholtz, senior vice president for digital operations.

Additionally, the company appointed Jason Rapp as vice president for online development and associate general manager of NYTimes.com. Rapp is currently vice president for strategy and operations at the NYTimes.com. He will report to Schiller.

Meanwhile, executives with the New York Times said during a conference call this month that Times Select has 465,000 subscribers. Of those subscribers, 62% get it as part of their home delivery of the paper. The remaining online subscribers — 38% — pay $49.95 annually, or pay by month. Additionally, the company has started to offer college students a 50% discount for Times Select.

Near the end of January, the Times reported 390,000 total subscribers to the service, with 40% being non-subscribers, or about 156,000. The most recent numbers–38% of 465,000–would work out to about 176,000.

When asked about the goals and how ?big? Times Select can get, Janet Robinson, CEO of the New York Times Co., responded: ?I think that?s very hard to say. We are continuing to promote this. We are continuing to put new programs around the content that is available. … From a perspective of how we are looking at the initial effort, really only six, seven months into it we are extremely pleased with what we have seen. In fact, we are constantly asked by our peers in regard to how well Times Select is doing.?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *