PARADE MAGAZINE PULLS OUT OF ALBUQUERQUE

By: Lucia Moses

Newspaper Considers Legal Action


Parade magazine canceled its Sunday distribution agreement
with the Albuquerque (N.M.) Journal last month,
rather than compete for national ad dollars with USA
Weekend.

Since September, the Journal has been running USA
Weekend in its Saturday edition. Parade said that
while it is distributed in some newspapers along with USA
Weekend due to overlapping contracts, it doesn’t want to
share the market with its competitor.

“It would diminish the impact of our advertising,” according to
Walter Anderson, Parade’s chairman, publisher, and CEO.
“That creates a serious problem for us.” This position, which
Parade adopted in the late 1980s, has enraged newspapers
that have been canceled.

The Journal, whose offer to pay extra to keep
Parade was rejected, said it is exploring possible legal
action. “I figured they looked at the New Mexico market and
figured they could write it off,” said Brian Fantl, general
manager of the Albuquerque Publishing Co., business arm of the
Journal and its joint operating agreement partner, The
Albuquerque Tribune.

The Journal picked up USA Weekend in hopes that it
would strengthen the paper’s appeal to readers ages 18 to 24, and
wanted to keep Parade to hold on to older readers, Fantl
said. Parade contends its research shows just the opposite
– that it, not USA Weekend, has the edge with young
readers.



Lucia Moses (lmoses@editorandpublisher.com) is an associate editor covering business for E&P.



Copyright 2001, Editor & Publisher.

Like & Share E&P:
RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
https://www.editorandpublisher.com/news/parade-magazine-pulls-out-of-albuquerque/
LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *