Raleigh Airport Ends Fight to Ban Newsracks

By: E&P Staff

After the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals earlier this week refused to rehear its appeal en banc (E&P Online, July 14), the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority has ended its six-year fight to ban newsracks from the North Carolina airport.

While the vending boxes will go in, they won’t necessarily be where newspapers want them. Instead of being placed in areas where travelers wait for flights, the newsracks are planned for baggage claim area and each terminal’s ticketing lobby.

The News & Observer reported July 16 that its publisher, Orage Quarles III is not satisfied with the airport’s plan, saying travelers hurrying to get through security don’t look for a newspaper until they are in the secure terminal concourse. Quarles’ paper quoted him saying, “We want to be right next to the Redbox,” referring to movie DVD vending machines installed on the secure passenger concourses. “We just want strategic locations, for the convenience of our customers. We never anticipated loading up the terminals with news racks.”

The airport authority had argued that travelers can buy newspapers at airport shops; the newspapers said they did not want to be restricted to the retailers’ store hours. John A. Bussian, the newspapers’ lead attorney, said the courts ruled that the authority must allow newspaper boxes on the passenger concourses.

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *