By: CATHERINE TSAI
An estimated 300 people attended a rally Thursday night to show their support for the Rocky Mountain News, whose owner has said it may close the newspaper if no buyer can be found.
The attendees, including current and former news reporters and readers, held candles and chanted “save the Rocky.”
Earlier in the evening, the group packed into the Denver Press Club to prepare for a march to the Rocky building.
“I can’t tell you how touched I am to see so many people here tonight,” news presentation editor Melissa Pomponio told the crowd.
The original plan was for marchers to encircle the newspaper’s building with 150 people, one for each year in the newspaper’s history. Instead, they huddled together in the winter chill.
The E.W. Scripps Co., which owns the News, announced Dec. 4 that it would accept bids for the newspaper through mid-January. Scripps hasn’t said how many offers it has received or when it might decide on its future.
The news business has struggled with online competition for both readers and advertising dollars. Scripps said it lost $11 million on the News through September as advertising revenue failed to cover editorial costs. Unions at The Denver Post, meanwhile, have been asked for wage concessions.
Denver-area television stations KWGN and KDVR are merging resources, and KUSA and KMGH have agreed to share a news helicopter as a way to keep costs in check.