By: Press Release | Star Tribune
MINNEAPOLIS (June 28, 2012) — Star Tribune has been recognized with a National Edward R. Murrow Award, honoring excellence in electronic journalism. Star Tribune won in the category of Best Investigative Series for “Lost Warriors,” a series of stories by reporter Mark Brunswick and photographer Jim Gehrz that examined why so many Minnesota soldiers are taking their own lives. (The complete series can be found at startribune.com/projects/128015518.html.)
The Murrow Awards are granted by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the largest professional organization serving the electronic news profession. Since the award nominations opened to newspapers three years ago, Star Tribune has won a national Murrow award in the category of Local Online News Operation each year — the only newspaper in the country to do so.
The award is among more than 50 journalism awards Star Tribune has received so far in 2012. In addition to the national Murrow award, Star Tribune has been recognized with four regional Murrow awards, two Premack awards honoring public affairs journalism, and more than twenty Society of Professional Journalist awards, among others (listed below).
“We are honored that so many Star Tribune journalists are being recognized for their hard work and dedication in covering the news that matters to Minnesotans,” said Star Tribune editor and senior vice president Nancy Barnes. “These awards are proof that our commitment to high journalistic standards remains unchanged, even as we offer new ways for readers to get their news.”
2012 Star Tribune Awards:
- Associated Press Sports Editors: Three Top Ten Awards, one Honorable Mention
- American Society of News Editors Finalist: for Distinguished Writing Award for Deadline News Reporting
- Dart Awards: Finalist for Excellence in Coverage of Trauma
- Garden Writers Association: Silver Award
- National Edward R. Murrow Award: Video News Series
- National Sportcasters and Sportswriters Association: Minnesota Sportswriter of the Year National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation’s Eighteenth Annual Health Care Print Journalism Finalist Award
- Two Premack Finalist Awards: Public Affairs Reporting: Print/Online, Large Organization
- Four Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Two Society of American Business Editors and Writers’ Awards for Best in Business
- Society for News Design: 16 Awards with 17 Awards of Excellence
- Society for Features Journalism: Top Features Section
- Twenty one Society of Professional Journalist Awards
About Star Tribune Media Company
Star Tribune Media Company LLC is an independent, locally operated media company serving Minnesota and the upper Midwest. Minnesota is the only U.S. market in the top 10 in household income, home ownership, health and fitness, literacy, spending on the arts, credit scores and online activity. With the 8th largest Sunday and 13th largest daily circulation newspaper in the U.S., the most-visited local website, and Twin Cities Values, Star Tribune reaches more consumers than any other Minnesota media brand. For more information visit startribune.com or startribunecompany.com.