The Billion-Dollar Disinformation Campaign to Reelect the President

One day last fall, I sat down to create a new Facebook account. I picked a forgettable name, snapped a profile pic with my face obscured, and clicked “Like” on the official pages of Donald Trump and his reelection campaign.

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
LinkedIn

6 thoughts on “The Billion-Dollar Disinformation Campaign to Reelect the President

• February 7, 2020 at 2:44 pm

• February 13, 2020 at 8:04 am

So, you believe facts will change the “hearts and minds” of Trump’s supporters?
      With them, matters of fact are beside the point.
      I found the piece enlightening, and certainly newsworthy. Exactly what it was represented as and meant to be.

• February 7, 2020 at 5:18 pm

it seems mckay coppins and the atlantic have been infected by the same syndrome: inventing nonsense when they can’t prove their cases using facts …
    this article reports its author’s opinions rather than facts …

• February 8, 2020 at 5:33 am

The article writer must have been right on point given the reply. I personally don’t understand how you can disbelieve numerous career diplomats that show concern but yet believe social media streams or platforms that are known to be used as tools of misinformation by bad actors.

Until such time that social media platforms have some sort of vetting as to the veracity of the information that’s provided, I think this will get to the point that news will essentially be faith-based. It will be based on belief systems and faith versus hard news and data. The true believers will deny the data because it was provided by non-believers.

It’s going to get extremely ugly I’m afraid.

• February 11, 2020 at 6:51 am

You’re absolutely right. it’s going to get very ugly. Can you imagine the rhetoric if Pete Buttigieg wins the nomination? His politics are more moderate than progressive so you know they’ll attack his homosexuality. No matter who the Democratic candidate is it is going to get very ugly.

• February 16, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Like Susan said, “This is one of the most slanted op-eds masquerading as a piece of investigative journalism I have seen in a long time. In some places, it takes perfectly legal strategies and pairs them with other opinions to make them sound sinister. In other places, a man’s use of hyperbole is conflated into a lie. I’m sure President Trump’s detractors, enemies (I don’t use the word lightly), and opponents will love it, but it will do nothing to change the hearts and minds of Mr. Trump’s supporters.”
    Ridiculous propaganda from the enemies of the Republic.