By: Greg Mitchell
Welcome to the new E&P! Today subscribers begin receiving the first monthly print edition, while E&P Online launches a completely redesigned and expanded Web site, all aimed at better serving our readers with more information in a more timely fashion.
Our January print issue showcases many new features, and includes profiles of Ben Bradlee, Abe Rosenthal, Bob Woodward, Carl Bernstein — and their children who followed them to the newsroom; interviews with seven top industry CEOs, who preview 2004; and a column by Tom Wicker on this year’s presidential race and how the press should treat Iraq as an issue.
But it is our new Web site where the most changes have occurred, so before you go any further, allow me to offer a simple users’ guide:
* Starting today, we will be posting more news stories and columns than ever before, open to all, and updated much more frequently. Our popular classifieds will now be available free to all visitors, not just subscribers, as soon as they are posted. You will also find a new online NewsPeople section with daily additions and obituaries.
* Besides the clear yet lively redesign, what may jump out at you first is the group of six new “Departments” on the right side of the site. These are essentially “mini-sites” arranged by subject matter for easy access. The goal is to help you find specific information faster and do your job better, no matter what department of the newspaper you work for.
* Another significant change, however, is that stories from our print edition, with rare exception, will now be restricted to subscribers. In addition, we will reward subscribers with free access to our archives, and additional proprietary content in our Departments.
* Subscriber-only content on this site is marked with the “&” red circle icon.
* Current and new subscribers to the print edition have free access to the entire site. However, you must activate your account! It’s ridiculously simple: Just go to our log-in page.
* If you wish to subscribe to our print-online combo, go to our Subscribe page. We are also offering Web-only access for $7.95 a month. Sign up here.
* We’ve boosted our original commentary to include a dozen exclusive columns. Most of these (by Steve Outing, Mark Fitzgerald, Joe Strupp, Carl Sullivan and others) are Web-only and will be open to all for one week before moving into our archives. Columns that have appeared in print — marked with that red “&” icon — are restricted to subscribers.
* If you have further questions, check out our FAQ. For subscription queries, call toll free 1-800-641-2030.
* We will, naturally, appreciate any comments you have on the new Web site and first monthly issue. Send them along to email@example.com. And don’t forget to activate your online account! We hope to find you back here often as E&P enters its 120th year — with, we think, the best yet to come.