Brandt succeeds Donna Barrett, president and CEO of Community Newspaper Holdings in Birmingham, Ala., who was elected chairman of the SNPA Board of Directors.
Reid Ashe, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Media General Inc. in Richmond, Va., was elected president-elect. Tom Griscom, publisher and executive editor of the Chattanooga (Tenn.) Times Free Press, was elected treasurer.
The SNPA was established in 1903 to promote the business interests of its newspaper members and represents about 400 daily and non-daily newspapers in 14 southern states. SNPA's board of directors consists of one director from each state and four at-large directors. The terms of the 18 directors are three years and staggered so that six new directors are elected every year.
Elected to three-year terms Monday were:
- At-Large: Les Simpson, publisher of the Amarillo (Texas) Globe-News.
- Louisiana: Frank Nixon, president of Fackelman Newspapers.
- Mississippi: Todd Carpenter, president and chief operating officer of Boone
- North Carolina: Hal Tanner III, general manager of The Goldsboro News-Argus.
- Tennessee: Art Powers, publisher and vice president of the Johnson City Press.
- West Virginia: Trip Shumate, vice president and CFO of Daily Gazette Company, Charleston.
The SNPA board on Sunday elected four trustees for the SNPA Foundation. Each year, the terms expire for three members of the nine-member foundation.
The four trustees are:
- David Paxton, president and CEO of Paxton Media Group in Paducah, Ky. He succeeds Walter E. Hussman Jr., publisher of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Little Rock, who has served the maximum two terms on the board. Paxton also was elected as the foundation board's chairman for 2009-2010.
- Taylor Hayes, publisher and CEO of the Kentucky New Era in Hopkinsville, Ky.
- Bill Nutting, vice president of Ogden Newspapers in Wheeling, W.Va. Nutting also was elected as vice chairman of the board; Hayes was elected to serve as treasurer.
- Charles Hill Morris Jr., publisher of The Covington (Ga.) News. He fills the remaining year of Victor H. Hanson III's term. Hanson will retire as publisher and president of The Birmingham (Ala.) News on Dec. 1.
By: Steve Brandt, president and publisher of The Greenville (S.C.) News, was elected president of the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association during the SNPA's annual convention Monday.